Koh Lipe, Thailand, Day #4 Kennett’s Tour
I am going to hit you with a full low-season experience here for a trip, Langkawi to Ko Lipe (in Thailand – yes you leave Singapore to Malaysia, then end up in Thailand and then back to Malaysia, to get back to Singapore. You ready? Were we? Not sure to be honest. We are travelers, we are international so who cares attitude I suppose! This is Koh Lipe, Thailand, Day #4 Kennett’s Tour.
- Have to be up at 6am to be at the ferry terminal at 8am to book the low-season 0900 ferry;
- OK that has changed to 1030 ferry;
- Hi, @ 083o when the place opens – 5 tickets please to Satun;
- Oh no Philippines – dodgy passport you need see immigration 1st;
- Off to immigration building, which they are currently constructing;
- No-one there;
- Banging on door;
- “Here she is” shouts someone;
- Once she finishes taking off her bike helmet off and having her 1st coffee she emerges;
- “Hi some issue with Philippines???”
- “No just abuse of pass” “You are married?”
- “Yes” “And he is my son”
- “The you are good!”
- Back to ticket place; “Hi trust me, she did say this, we’re good!”
- Tickets issued.
- Off we go on diesel stinking ferry with blacked out windows to Satun.
- Expect a bloody long immigration scenario, so always agains the clock to meet the last speedboat to Koh Lipe;
- You will get hit by all and sundry taxi uncles punting tier wares to allow them to drive you to the ferry terminal at Pak Bara – to be honest you have limited choice;
- We meet Mr Korex – old guy, but confident as, and booked everything forward and backwards – I like that- we are done;
- Just now the 1.5 hour drive through the Satun Province;
- Daddy-pedia – 80% Muslim, and acre after acre of rubber plantation – it is relentless;
- It now goes like this;
- My car is 30 years old;
- None of the dashboard dials work;
- His hooter is a new drilled in dashboard button because the original does not work;
- We run out of petrol mid-route;
- He brings a can from the boot and fills up enough to get to the next petrol station;
- We get to the petrol station, thankfully, and he starts to fill up. But forgets the handbrake so we are driving across the forecourt;
- He gets back in; “I have lost my glasses!” Major panic, WTF you can’t see, but he starts driving again, clearly upset – then finds them. It’s just sun-glasses!!!
It is a journey that just keeps on giving. If you are adventurous go for it. We did, and actually it turned out to be a tad bonding and a giggle, despite.This was Koh Lipe, Thailand, Day #4 Kennett’s Tour. It was an interesting one!
The gang pensively waiting at Langkawi ferry terminal on our way to a new place, Satun, Thailand for the start of the adventure to get to Koh Lipe – who knows what is going going to happen. Hold on a minute – quite a few things! Watch this space, or blog rather – it’s funny!!!